OPM Mobility Agreements: Everything You Need to Know
If you`re a federal employee, you may have heard of OPM mobility agreements- but what are they, and how do they work? This article will provide an overview of what OPM mobility agreements are, their benefits, and how you can take advantage of them.
What are OPM Mobility Agreements?
An OPM mobility agreement is an agreement between two federal agencies that allows an employee to move from one agency to another without losing their current position, pay, or benefits. This means that you can move to a different agency without going through the competitive hiring process or losing your current job security.
There are two types of OPM mobility agreements: shared funding agreements and reimbursable details. Shared funding agreements occur when both agencies agree to share the employee`s salary and expenses, while reimbursable details occur when the receiving agency reimburses the sending agency for the employee`s salary and expenses.
Benefits of OPM Mobility Agreements
OPM mobility agreements offer many benefits both for employees and agencies:
1. Career Development: OPM mobility agreements allow employees to gain new skills and experiences by working in different agencies. This can help them advance in their careers and become more competitive for future job opportunities.
2. Cost-Effective: OPM mobility agreements help agencies save money by allowing them to fill positions without going through the competitive hiring process.
3. Talent Retention: OPM mobility agreements help agencies retain talented employees who might otherwise leave for other opportunities. By offering new experiences and opportunities, agencies can keep their employees engaged and motivated.
How to Take Advantage of OPM Mobility Agreements
If you`re interested in taking advantage of OPM mobility agreements, there are a few things you can do:
1. Talk to Your Manager: Speak to your manager about your interest in exploring opportunities at other agencies. Your manager can help you understand your options and connect you with the appropriate contacts.
2. Research Opportunities: Look for opportunities on USAJobs.gov or on agency websites. You can also reach out to contacts in other agencies to inquire about opportunities.
3. Network: Attend conferences and other events where you can meet people from different agencies. This can help you build relationships and learn about new opportunities.
In conclusion, OPM mobility agreements offer many benefits for federal employees and agencies. By taking advantage of these agreements, employees can gain new experiences and advance their careers, while agencies can save money and retain talented employees. If you`re interested in exploring opportunities at other agencies, talk to your manager and start researching opportunities today.